We’ve been condoning the summer for more than a week already when March melts its way into April the temperature is at its peak. Apparently, this is the time you take advantage of the kitchen of the sunshine and good times.
Try some easy, breezy recipes to make use of the best seasonal fruits,vegetables & herbs. During this season indigestion is common, and we will find our appetite diminishing. So keep it simple, keep it light.
Keep it Cool
Swap to foods that help you cool down and hydrate you during the summer months. Try adding any of these to your daily foods :
- Cucumber, tulsi, tender coconut, pineapples, watermelon, sprouts, lemon, coriander, mint leaves
- Also include olives, tomatoes, dal
- You can also use a lot of yogurt(curd) which helps bring a light and refreshing element to your dish
- Eat a lot of steamed food like idli, aapam, puttu, etc
To help you innovate all of these here’s a purveyor of simple Indian recipes to beat the summer.
1. Coconut sorbet
- Tender coconut pulp – 1/2 cup
- Tender coconut water – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice (optional) – 1 Tbsp
1.To a mixer jar empty tender coconut pulp
2. Grind it adding coconut water, sugar and lemon juice until the mixture turns smooth.
3. Transfer the mixture to a flat box and freeze for 3 hours
4. Take it out every 1 hour and grind it smoothly. Repeat this for 5 times minimum for a soft sorbet.
5. Then again freeze overnight and scoop and serve it the next day.
2. Tomato Raita (side dish)
- Curd, chilled – 1 cup
- Tomato, finely chopped – ½ cup ( 1 nos.)
- Mint & coriander leaves, chopped – as required
- Green chili, finely chopped – 1 nos.
- Cumin / jeera powder, roasted – ½ tsp
- Black salt or regular salt – as required
1. Whisk the fresh chilled curd till smooth
2. Add the finely chopped tomatoes, mint & coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, roasted cumin powder and season with black salt as per taste
3. Mix them well and serve immediately
3. Cucumber Chiller
- Ginger, peeled and chopped – 1 inch
- Cucumber, peeled and chopped – 1 nos.
- Water – 1/2 glass
- Ice – as required
- Lemon wheels, for garnish
- Cucumber wheels, for garnish
1. In a juicer, blend ginger, cucumber and 1/2 cup of cold water
2. Strain the puree through a mesh sieve
3. Fill glasses with ice and blended juice. Top with lemon and cucumber wheels
Enjoy the summer with sun-kissed vegetables and colourful fruits. Make sure to eat light and early. Include a lot of vegetables, fruits pulses or fish.
Chill out with these tasty recipes, and enjoy the season.